- 1/2 onion, chopped small
- 1 15.5 oz. can black
- beans, well drained’
- 2 slices bread, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 cup flour
- Extra salt and pepper to taste
- Oil for frying
1. Sauté the onions until soft, about 3 – 5 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, mash the beans until almost smooth.
3. Add the sautéed onions to the beans, along with the crumbled bread, seasoned salt, garlic powder and onion powder, mixing to combine well.
4. Add the flour a few tablespoons at a time and mix to combine well. Your veggie burger mixture will be very thick.
5. Form the black bean mixture into individual patties, approximately 1/2 inch thick. Tip: Roll a handful into a ball, then gently flatten it.
6. Finally, fry your black beam patties in a small amount of oil over medium-low heat until slightly firm and lightly browned on each side, about 3 minutes.
7. If your pan is too hot, your bean burgers will brown too quickly and not be heated through and cooked in the middle, so adjust the heat as needed.
8. Assemble your veggie burgers and enjoy with all the fixings, or eat them on a plate without a bun, with mustard and ketchup.
294 calories | 55.3 grams carbs | 11 grams fat | 11.3 grams fiber | 16.8 grams protein
This recipe is part of a collection assembled by Valley Medical Center’s Diabetes Education & Nutrition Clinic as a component of their healthy nutrition and diabetes education program. The recipes were gathered and inspired from a variety of healthy eating websites. See cookbook for list of website resources.