- Take an activity break during the day instead of eating a snack.
- Find out if your local shopping mall opens early for indoor walkers.
- Listen to music or watch TV to keep yourself entertained while you exercise.
- Surround yourself with people who support and encourage you.
- Set realistic exercise goals. Reward yourself when you achieve your goals. Set an ultimate goal of at least 30 active minutes per day, five days a week.
- Plan vacations around activities like hiking, biking or swimming.
- Walk or bike around town instead of driving if you live close to services.
- Park your car in the back of the parking lot to have a longer walk into the store when you go shopping.
Ideas like these that incorporate healthy lifestyle practices into your day are all part of an emerging field in healthcare called Lifestyle Medicine. Valley has three Lifestyle Medicine & Fitness locations where our teams of professional exercise specialists, physical therapists and nutrition coaches are available to help you tailor behavior to help you achieve your health goals in a medically-supervised setting.