Why do we need routine health exams if we don’t have symptoms?
We are fortunate to have preventive tests that check for the most common causes of disability and death— heart attack, stroke, type 2 diabetes and cancer.
Even without symptoms, screening can:
1. Provide assurance that you don’t have signs of the disorder, or
2. Confirm you have a risk for or onset of a condition, such as prediabetes, hypertension or colon polyps.
Bottom line: Early detection can lead to early treatment to potentially prevent or reduce complications, or save your life.
Screening tests are available for:
• Cervical cancer (Pap test)
• Breast cancer (mammogram)
• Cholesterol (blood lipid profile and heart disease risk assessment)
• Colorectal cancer (fecal occult blood testing, sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy)
• Type 2 diabetes (blood glucose)
• Blood pressure (regular office check)
• Prostate cancer (discuss with your provider)
• Skin cancer (regular office check)
Follow your healthcare provider’s advice and get tested to lower your risk for illness and potentially save your life.
Looking for a primary care doctor or clinic close to home?
Valley has 9 primary care clinics and 5 urgent care clinics in convenient locations from Covington and Maple Valley to Kent, Renton and Newcastle.
View VMC’s preventive care guidelines for adults
View VMC’s preventive care guidelines for children