Use one of these techniques to find a small oasis of calm amid the chaos, and recharge your mind and spirit in just 5 minutes.
1. Be thankful. Maintaining a sense of gratitude promotes optimism and resistance to stress. Take 5 minutes to write down 3 things you’re thankful for, no matter how small or how simple.
2. Breathe deeply. Take a moment to close your eyes, sit up straight, and place one hand on your belly and one on your chest. Breathe in slowly, and feel your chest expand under your hand. Then, send the breath deeper into your belly. Exhale slowly.
3. Tune into your senses. Stress comes from within. Shut it down by focusing on sensations and your environment. Listen to music or view favorite pictures (vacation, scenery, etc.) to ease tension and distract your mind from stress.
4. Avoid slumping. Keep your head up and shoulders back. Correct posture lessens the muscle tension from mental stress.
5. Drink water and have a light snack. Hunger and dehydration can aggravate stress.
Take care of yourself – you fight stress better when you practice healthy habits.