Strong evidence shows that physical inactivity increases the risk of many harmful health conditions.
Worldwide, it is estimated that physical inactivity causes:
• 6% of the global burden of disease from coronary heart disease
• 7% of Type 2 diabetes
• 10% of breast and colon cancers
• 9% of premature deaths (that’s more than 5.3 million of the 57 million deaths that occurred worldwide in 2008)
On the other hand, regular physical activity:
• Reduces overall risk of premature death
• Reduces risk of recurrent breast cancer by about 50%
• Reduces the risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease
• Lowers risk of cardiovascular-related and cancer-related premature death in adults with higher levels of muscle strength
• Leads to higher academic performance in children and adults
If you’re healthy but have been relatively inactive or would like to increase your level of activity, check out this guide for getting started on the road to regular exercise. Remember to talk with your doctor and start slowly. The benefits are better health and quality of life!
The Fitness Center at Valley Medical Center offers Healthy Foundations, a 16-week, customized program to meet you where you are on your path to wellness. In addition to an individualized, prescriptive exercise program with biometric measurements and SMART goal setting, the program offers:
• 1:1 Medical nutrition counseling
• Meal planning
• Physical therapy evaluation, consultation and treatment (as needed)
• 4-month Fitness Center membership at VMC or Pinnacle locations
• Grocery store tour and restaurant field trip
• Group support and education series
The program may be covered by your insurance. Interested? Call 425.656.4006 or learn more on the Lifestyle Medicine webpage.