During these extraordinary times, we need to band together as a community to help manage the spread of coronavirus. For those under treatment, observation or in self-quarantine, separation can create anxiety and stress. But you don’t need to give up being social to practice social distancing.
Popular social media tools help keep you connected, but these aren’t designed with a personal health crisis in mind. While messages and feeds may be intended to help heal, they can add stress and create fatigue.
As a community benefit, Valley Medical Center offers free subscriptions to CaringBridge, a secure, online personal health journal where you can share health updates, photos and videos with the people who care about you.
One user likens her experience to the feeling of “a warm, fuzzy blanket.” Comforting messages from family and friends provided a welcome distraction. When she didn’t want to post, her sister kept others informed and passed along their thoughts. Re-reading messages helped this user feel connected. She knew she was not alone.
Here are some reasons to use CaringBridge:
- With CaringBridge, you decide who to invite into the conversation. Share your experience with the world or restrict your health journal to people with whom you’ve extended an invitation.
- You don’t have to worry about whether you’ve informed all the right people of the latest update on your condition.
- Having a virtual record of your journal is helpful for those who do not know much about your story. You don’t have to start from the beginning in new conversations. When it’s too difficult for you to write about how you’re doing, someone you trust can do it for you.
- When people post words of support in the guestbook, there is no expectation of a personal response in return. That removes the guilt of not replying with appreciation when you’re just not feeling up to it.
- You can revise what you’ve written before you hit “post.”
- Posting some of the challenges you’re facing can lead to helpful feedback and support.
- Sharing your story online increases the numbers of people praying for and thinking about you.
- Using CaringBridge makes it harder to feel like you’re in this alone.
Emotional health is a key ingredient for managing your physical well-being. Stay connected. Stay healthy.