Warehouse Clerk Ed receives, sorts, stacks, and rotates five pallets of frozen and refrigerated products two times each week.
Dietitian Peggy shows new Dietitian Sophie how to use a software program. Peggy has been recognized as an Outstanding Preceptor.
Sharmilla goes through at least three boxes of gloves each day, preparing meals during the weekday breakfast and lunch shifts.
What does it take to prepare and serve some 286,000 patient meals per year, as well as thousands of breakfasts, lunches, dinners, snacks, and espresso drinks for Valley staff and visitors? We stopped in for a visit with the Food Management and Nutrition Services (FMNS) department to watch the team in action.
It only takes a couple steps (and one fashionable hair net) inside the kitchen before you’re immersed in the action. Nutrition reps taking patient orders and arranging the draped service carts so familiar throughout the hospital corridors; cooks preparing cafeteria entrées and made-to-order patient meals; dietetic assistants ensuring that patient nutrition needs are met; dishwashers scrubbing pots and pans in preparation for service; and Ed, the warehouse clerk, delivering a new pallet of fresh vegetables to the industrial-sized refrigerator. Out front, café workers assist hundreds of customers each day, while also making sure that refrigerated cases are stocked and fresh coffee is brewing. In Trendz alone, some 500 breakfasts, 1,000 lunches and 300 dinners are purchased each week day.
FMNS by the Numbers in 2016:
- 110 staff serving Trendz Café, three coffee shops, patient rooms, and catering services for meetings and events
- 20,000 pieces of whole fruit
- 14,000 string cheese
- More than 7,000 pounds of wild, line-caught Coho salmon served
- 37,276 lattes
- 12,600 mochas
- 31,500 breakfast sandwiches prepared and eaten (that’s nearly 90 sandwiches per day!)
- 7,000 gallons (112,000 cups) of drip coffee
- 5,500, 2-pack cage free hard-boiled eggs
- More than 20,000 half-pints of milk served in the café alone (many patient meals include milk)
Thank you to the incredible FMNS team for keeping Valley’s staff, patients, and visitors well fed!
Visiting the hospital? Location and hours for Trendz Cafe, along with Valley’s three coffee shops can be found at valleymed.org.