As the weather gets warmer, a smoothie is a cool and delicious treat. For an additional chilly burst, enjoy your smoothie from a frosted glass!
Summer Breeze Smoothie
- 1 cup plain, nonfat yogurt
- 6 medium strawberries, stems removed
- 1 cup pineapple, crushed, canned in juice
- 1 medium banana, peeled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ice cubes
Place all ingredients in blender and puree until smooth.
Each serving contains about 149 calories, 0 grams total fat, 0 grams saturated fat, 0 grams trans-fat, 2 milligrams cholesterol, 40 milligrams sodium, 35 grams carbohydrates, 2 grams fiber, 20 grams sugar, 3 grams protein.
Blueberry Banana Smoothie
- 1 frozen ripe banana, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 cup skim milk
Bananas that are getting past ripe work perfectly in smoothies. Peel them, cut them, wrap them in plastic and freeze.
Once bananas are frozen, put all ingredients in blender and puree until smooth.
Each serving contains about 122 calories, 5 grams protein, 0 grams fat, 24 grams carbohydrates, 3 grams fiber, and 63 milligrams sodium.
Peach Melba Smoothie
- 1 cup sliced peaches, fresh, frozen or canned (drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup fat-free vanilla yogurt
- 1 cup crushed ice
- 1 cup fresh or frozen unsweetened raspberries, reserve 6 berries for garnish
- Mint leaves (optional) for garnish
Put peaches, yogurt, ice and all but 6 raspberries into blender and puree. Serve in tall glasses. Garnish with reserved berries. The smoothie will be thick enough for the berries to float on top. Add fresh mint leaves if you have them.
Each serving contains about 150 calories, 7 grams protein, 0 grams fat, 0 milligrams cholesterol, 25 grams carbohydrates, 5 grams fiber, and 80 milligrams sodium.
Recipes adapted from Valley’s online health library recipe collection.