In honor of Better Hearing & Speech Month, here are some ways to incorporate fun language activities with your children into your everyday activities:
- Play “I spy” while driving in the car to practice asking questions, using descriptive words, and problem solving.
- Take a book and cover the words and have your child make up a new story to go along with the pictures.
- Pick an item (dog, car, paintbrush) and alternate coming up with words to describe it. See how far you can go!
- Take turns giving silly directions (Touch your knee with your toe) and seeing who can follow the most. Make them complicated and see just how crazy you can get! (Before you cluck like a chicken, meow like a cat and spin around three times.)
- Practice taking turns by playing “tag” or games like “Connect 4.” For younger kids, practice words such as: my turn, your turn, stop, go.
Learn more about Valley’s Children’s Therapy clinic.