Children with autism commonly have limited safety awareness and insight into dangers in their environment. Sometimes they wander off. We need to support these kiddos by keeping them safe!
Ideas for preventing wandering and wandering tragedies at home include:
- Securing your home with deadbolts, battery-operated alarms, fences and more
- Tracking or GPS devices that can be worn
- A medical ID bracelet which includes name, phone number and more
- Teaching your child to swim
- Alerting neighbors and first responders of your child’s possible wandering in advance
Check out these resources for even more ideas: