Safety Scoop: 4th of July Fireworks Safety Tips

Safety Scoop: 4th of July Fireworks Safety Tips

Happy Independence Day from all of us at Valley – please celebrate safely! To help, our Safety team put together some July 4th safety tips to keep you and your loved ones from harm:

Ditch faulty fireworks
Always keep a bucket of water nearby; sometimes fireworks do not go off, but duds always pose a risk. The important thing to know is that you should never try to re-light or approach a failed firework. Let the duds sit for 5 -10 minutes, pick them up using a pair of tongs and put them in a bucket of water for a few hours. This can prevent injury from a delayed explosion and disarm the firework permanently so you can safely dispose of it.

Supervise children with sparklers
Sparklers burn at an average of 2000 degrees Fahrenheit—hot enough to melt some metals, ignite clothing, cause severe burns, and ignite the surrounding environment. According to the National Fire Protection Association, sparklers are responsible for 25% of fireworks-related ER visits!

Pet safety
Fireworks can be extremely stressful for pets. To reduce their stress, keep your pets indoors, close the curtains or blinds and turn on the TV or radio to provide a distraction. You can also give them toys filled with their favorite food (peanut butter is a good option), which will help keep them distracted and comfortable.


  • Never use fireworks while impaired by drugs or alcohol.
  • Anyone using fireworks or standing nearby should wear protective eyewear.
  • Never hold lighted fireworks in your hands.
  • Never light fireworks indoors.
  • Only use fireworks away from people, houses, and flammable material.
  • Never point or throw fireworks at another person.
  • Only light one device at a time and maintain a safe distance after lighting.
  • Never ignite devices in a container.
  • Keep a bucket of water nearby to fully extinguish fireworks that do not go off or in case of a fire.
  • Never use illegal fireworks and always follow manufacturer’s instructions!

See more tips from the National Fire Protection Association.

About The Author

Valley Medical Center's Marketing and Community Outreach Office